Thursday, January 13, 2011

Low AMH? Okay, now what?

Good morning folks.  Yesterday my wife and I got a call from the IVF nurse who had an update on some of our lab work.  She told me my sperm numbers were OK, but they were still going to recommend ICSI.  Well, okay.  More money, but a slight increase in the "successful pregnancy probability" (SPP).  The more I read the more I question the term "OK".  I may not be providing optimal swimmers, but ICSI levels the playing field.  Let's keep it moving shall we?

Then she told us that my wife's numbers looked good but her AMH (just in case someone reading didn't already know this), 0.8, was a little low and that the doctor wanted to treat her with a low dose of steroids prior to starting the cycle.  Hmmmmm.  My wife and I pulled back into our research mode and started reading.  We didn't see alot of people out there being prescribed steroids for lower AMH, but we did see quite a few women with much lower AMH getting pregnant.

So, we are going forward as planned with our faith strong and our laptops ready.  We like and trust our doctor, but we are obligated to not accept everything without team discussion and consideration.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you getting all fancy with the terms and abbreviations !!!! 'Oh you fancy huh?' very good lol love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Low AMH (.2) and am actually using donor egg now. I only did 1 own egg ivf and didn't want to waste my insurance coverage on me if it wasn't going to work. HOWEVER, you are now like the 4th person/couple in a couple of days that have mentioned the use of steriods to assist. I know it's doesn't raise AMH, but I am wondering if ti simply helps egg quality. Thanks for posting that, I am actually going to call my RE right now and what he thinks for me.

    ReplyDelete